—— A darn good software engineer manager, developer, and systems administrator.
With over two decades of experience in the Information Technology industry, I have the unique skills necessary to successfully lead engineering teams. I am dedicated to the success of my direct reports and building products that make people’s lives awesome, while maintaining a reputation built on quality and service.
- Managing Engineering Teams
- Acquisition Research
- Building Teams
- Product Development
- Solution Evaluation
- Mentoring and Coaching
Liquid Web / iThemes
May 1, 2013 – Present
Manager of Development
February 2018 – Present
- Lead and grew engineering teams with diverse backgrounds and skills
- Collaborated with engineering, marketing, and support teams alongside other stakeholders to create the visions for the iThemes products.
- Worked with project managers and designers to develop system of user interviews and feedback in order to build better products and features
- Partnered with engineering and product managers across the Liquid Web organization to build new initiatives and strategies to help each other and our customers.
- Built relationships with human resources and recruiters to interview and hire impressive talent that fit with our culture
- Owned and preached ownership to direct-reports to impress upon everyone the importance of building products that “make people’s lives awesome” (the iThemes moto)
- Created mentoring programs for junior/senior engineers
- Developed 1-on-1 program for direct reports
- Researched and investigated possible acquisitions to embolden the iThemes portfolio and help grow our brand
Senior PHP Developer (WordPress Plugin and SAAS)
May 2013 – February 2018
- Lead Developer of iThemes Sync – A SAAS Platform and WordPress Plugin. Sync is an easy way to manage updates for all your WordPress sites from one place.
- Developed internal APIs
- Integrated with several third-party APIs, such as Google Analytics, Search Console, and Uptime Robot)
- Maintained aging/outdated codebase and developed a plan to migrate to Laravel to relieve technical debt, which I was able to oversee once I moved into the Management position.
- Integrated with several iThemes products (iThemes Security and Backup Buddy)
- Integrated with several Liquid Web products (CloudSites and Managed WordPress Hosting)
- Lead Developer of iThemes Exchange e-commerce plugin for WordPress.
- Integrated with third-party payment processing APIs, such as PayPal, Stripe, Authorize.Net
- Developed add-ons for and integrated with Tax services for VAT, Canadian, and U.S. Tax compliance
- Created over 13 add-ons to ensure customers had every thing they needed for their e-commerce websites
Freelance WordPress Developer and LAMP/LEMP Engineer
February 2008 – Present
February 2008 – Present
- Developer of MultiPass – A SAAS Application built for Leaky Paywall users to allow their customers to access content across multiple newspaper/magazine partner sites.
- Developer of livemarket.pub – A hands-off, recurring revenue, live-ad platform for local and niche publishers. SAAS Application built with Laravel with a WordPress plugin interface.
- Developer of UniPress – A mobile app API plugin for WordPress.
- Developer of Leaky Paywall – A paywall plugin for WordPress.
- Developer of IssueM – An issue management plugin for WordPress.
- Administrator of AnvilCloud – A premium web hosting solution offered to Newspaper and Magazine Publishers for over 30 publishers nationwide. Built on Amazon Web Services (AWS) implementing LEMP stacks using EC2 Instances, CloudFront CDN, and S3 for speed and reliability.
- Built custom investment tracking app for New Energy Capital to track vendor profiles, investments, contacts, as well as run complicated and customizable reports.
February 2008 – Present
- leenk.me – Premium social media plugin for WordPress and SAAS that integrates with the Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn remote APIs.
- PigeonPack – Email campaign manager for WordPress.
- Patches accepted to WordPress core.
- Various freely available WordPress plugins.
- Manage multiple client websites and hosting built on Amazon Web Services (AWS) implementing LEMP stacks using EC2 Instances, CloudFront CDN, and S3 for speed and reliability.
Other Relevant Experience
University of Georgia
IT Senior Manager & Principal Linux Administrator
August 4, 2008 to April 26, 2013
- Chaired Website Redesign Committee, supporting 250 Faculty, 500 Staff, and over 4500 Students.
- Consulted on the development, security, and implementation of a College of Education Student Information System (required to meet FERPA and HIPAA regulations).
- Built strategic intra-university partnerships.
- Collaborated on 5-Year Strategic Plan for the Office of Information Technology in concert with the Dean’s Office
- Managed team of three web developers, four helpdesk technicians, and one junior systems administrator
- Acting Internet Security and UGA Network liaison for the College of Education
- Developed and taught an 8-hour WordPress training course for the staff of the University of Georgia — broke up into four 2-hour sessions
- Responsible for managing, securing, and maintaining eight Red Hat Enterprise Level servers and two Windows servers on VMWare, using tools like Cacti, OSSEC, Splunk, and Fortigate and Astaro Firewalls
April 7, 2008 to August 4, 2008
- Installed, setup, configured and managed new Windows servers and services for Alterra Network’s clients.
- Required to learn new customer’s systems and setups quickly and on the spot to help troubleshoot and resolve any issues in a timely manner.
- Provided consulting expertise for proactive network and system development and deployment.
- Required to work on a team as well as independently.
IBM (CTG Contractor)
BIOS Test Engineer
April 23, 2007 to February 1, 2008
- Tested newly developed BIOS code drops for defects on IBM blades, running all enterprise level operating systems, Windows Server, Red Hat, OpenSUSE, etc.
- Reported, researched, and verified defects to BIOS testing team and BIOS developers.
- Developed step-by-step manual for BIOS testing IBM System Z mainframe.
- Received “Above and Beyond” award for extraordinary dedicated and contribution in October 2007.
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
Windows Server and Exchange Administrator
February 07, 2005 to May 11, 2007
Wake Forest, NC
- Maintained and monitored Windows server (NT, 2000, and 2003) running services like, MS Exchange, Active Directory, CIFS, Cold Fusion, and IIS.
- Researched and implemented new services for Faculty, Staff and Students of the school.
- Assisted in the development of in-house applications using various languages, such as, PERL, ASP, ColdFusion, VB.NET.
- Wrote detailed instructions and tutorials for end user applications.
- Responsible for responding to intradepartmental work-orders and tickets.
Great Works Internet
Systems Operations Administrator
December 07, 2000 to November 12, 2004
- Managed UNIX (FreeBSD/BSDi) servers running services like Cistron Radius and FreeRadius, OpenLDAP, Sendmail, BIND, DHCP, Apache, PHP, MySQL, IPF, VPOPMail, and Qmail.
- Required to know and develop shell scripts in PERL and BASH used by technical support staff.
- Required to research and respond to interdepartmental escalations in a timely and professional manner.
- Wrote, performed, and documented details system upgrades (hardware and software).
- Responsible for 24/7 on-call rotation.
Bachelors of Arts in Biblical Studies
Graduated: December, 2007
The College at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
Wake Forest, NC
Bachelors of Science in Computer Science
Transferred 96 credit hours to Southeastern
University of Southern Maine
High School Diploma
Graduated: May, 1998