Engineering Manager with the unique skills to build and lead talented teams of engineers and launch successful products and features. Experienced leader and product manager with over two decades of history in this industry. Currently managing three engineering teams for consumer and business products with over one-million active installs. Clear communicator, decision maker, and solution architect.
- Scrum / Agile Development
- Onboarding New Talent
- Technical Roadmaps
- Budgeting and Resource Management
- PHP 5/7/8
- WordPress Plugin Development
- Laravel Development
- LAMP/LEMP Stack
- Object Oriented Programming
- MVC Pattern
Liquid Web (acquired iThemes)
Software Engineer Manager
February 2018 – Present
- Directed and motivated 2 software development teams and an operations team
- Guided the development of open source products for WordPress customers with over 1 million active installs
- Collaborated with marketing and support teams alongside other stakeholders to strategize and plan for the future of the iThemes’ products
- Evaluated and implemented a system of user interviews; allowing the solicitation of feedback from 50 random users for each new feature release
- Partnered with other engineering and product managers across the Liquid Web organization to build new initiatives and strategies
- Built relationships with human resources and 3rd party recruiters to interview and hire impressive talent that fit with the culture
- Created mentoring program for junior engineers to partner with senior engineers to help foster career growth and improve employee retention
- Implemented a weekly “radically candor” system of 1-on-1 for direct reports
- Researched and investigated million dollar acquisitions and partnerships to embolden product features and help grow the product’s brand
- Launched highly available APIs consumed by millions of WordPress websites; using PHP, MySQL, and Go
Liquid Web / iThemes
Senior PHP Developer (WordPress Plugin and SAAS)
May 2013 – February 2018
- Developer of iThemes Sync – A SAAS Platform and WordPress Plugin used by freelance developers; currently managing over 20 thousand sites
- Developed internal and external APIs to increase efficiency and reduce cost
- Integrated with 3rd party APIs, such as Google Analytics, Search Console, and Uptime Robot
- Learned, maintained, and improved poorly written bespoke MVC code base
- Engineered the plan to migrate to Laravel to relieve technical debt, reducing future development costs by thousands of dollars
- Developer of iThemes Exchange e-commerce plugin for WordPress – A user-friendly competitor to WooCommerce
- Created over 13 add-ons to ensure customers had everything needed for a successful e-commerce websites
- Launched payment products using third-party payment processing APIs, such as PayPal and Stripe and tax service APIs for VAT, Canadian, and U.S. Tax compliance
- Built custom integrations with shipping service APIs for the 3 primary U.S. based shipping services (USPS, UPS, and Fedex)
Freelance WordPress Developer and LAMP/LEMP Engineer
February 2008 – Present
February 2008 – Present
- Developer of MultiPass – A SAAS Application built for Leaky Paywall users to allow their customers to access content across multiple newspaper/magazine partner sites.
- Developer of livemarket.pub – A hands-off, recurring revenue, live-ad platform for local and niche publishers. SAAS Application built with Laravel with a WordPress plugin interface.
- Developer of UniPress – A mobile app API plugin for WordPress.
- Developer of Leaky Paywall – A paywall plugin for WordPress.
- Developer of IssueM – An issue management plugin for WordPress.
- Administrator of AnvilCloud – A premium web hosting solution offered to Newspaper and Magazine Publishers for over 30 publishers nationwide. Built on Amazon Web Services (AWS) implementing LEMP stacks using EC2 Instances, CloudFront CDN, and S3 for speed and reliability.
- Built custom investment tracking app for New Energy Capital to track vendor profiles, investments, contacts, as well as run complicated and customizable reports.
February 2008 – Present
- leenk.me – Premium social media plugin for WordPress and SAAS that integrates with the Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn remote APIs.
- PigeonPack – Email campaign manager for WordPress.
- Patches accepted to WordPress core.
- Various freely available WordPress plugins.
- Manage multiple client websites and hosting built on Amazon Web Services (AWS) implementing LEMP stacks using EC2 Instances, CloudFront CDN, and S3 for speed and reliability.
Other Relevant Experience
University of Georgia
IT Senior Manager & Principal Linux Administrator
August 4, 2008 to April 26, 2013
- Managed teams of web developers, helpdesk technicians, and systems administrators
- Chaired Website Redesign Committee, supporting 250 Faculty, 500 Staff, and over 4500 Students
- Consulted on the development, security, and implementation of a College of Education Student Information System (required to meet FERPA and HIPAA regulations)
- Coordinated strategic intra-university partnerships to give students and professors access to needed resources and save the university money
- Collaborated on 5-Year Strategic Plan for the Office of Information Technology in concert with the Dean’s Office
- Internet Security and UGA Network liaison for the College of Education
- Developed and taught an 8-hour WordPress training course for the staff of the University of Georgia — broke up into four 2-hour sessions
- Maintained and secured eight RHEL Linux servers and two Windows servers on VMWare, using tools like Cacti, OSSEC, Splunk, and Fortigate and Astaro Firewalls
April 7, 2008 to August 4, 2008
- Installed, setup, configured and managed new Windows servers and services for Alterra Network’s clients.
- Required to learn new customer’s systems and setups quickly and on the spot to help troubleshoot and resolve any issues in a timely manner.
- Provided consulting expertise for proactive network and system development and deployment.
- Required to work on a team as well as independently.
IBM (CTG Contractor)
BIOS Test Engineer
April 23, 2007 to February 1, 2008
- Tested newly developed BIOS code drops for defects on IBM blades, running all enterprise level operating systems, Windows Server, Red Hat, OpenSUSE, etc.
- Reported, researched, and verified defects to BIOS testing team and BIOS developers.
- Developed step-by-step manual for BIOS testing IBM System Z mainframe.
- Received “Above and Beyond” award for extraordinary dedicated and contribution in October 2007.
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
Windows Server and Exchange Administrator
February 07, 2005 to May 11, 2007
Wake Forest, NC
- Maintained and monitored Windows server (NT, 2000, and 2003) running services like, MS Exchange, Active Directory, CIFS, Cold Fusion, and IIS.
- Researched and implemented new services for Faculty, Staff and Students of the school.
- Assisted in the development of in-house applications using various languages, such as, PERL, ASP, ColdFusion, VB.NET.
- Wrote detailed instructions and tutorials for end user applications.
- Responsible for responding to intradepartmental work-orders and tickets.
Great Works Internet
Systems Operations Administrator
December 07, 2000 to November 12, 2004
- Managed UNIX (FreeBSD/BSDi) servers running services like Cistron Radius and FreeRadius, OpenLDAP, Sendmail, BIND, DHCP, Apache, PHP, MySQL, IPF, VPOPMail, and Qmail.
- Required to know and develop shell scripts in PERL and BASH used by technical support staff.
- Required to research and respond to interdepartmental escalations in a timely and professional manner.
- Wrote, performed, and documented details system upgrades (hardware and software).
- Responsible for 24/7 on-call rotation.
Bachelors of Arts in Biblical Studies
Graduated: December, 2007
The College at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
Wake Forest, NC
Bachelors of Science in Computer Science
Transferred 96 credit hours to Southeastern
University of Southern Maine
High School Diploma
Graduated: May, 1998